Translate

Monday, September 3, 2012

Where did your name come from?

Tomorrow, as Team 16, meets together the first time as a 4th grade class, we will be reading several books about the importance of names.  We will read The Name Jar, by Yangsook Choi and Chysanthemum, by Kevin Henkes (a favorite).  We will begin a discussion about where our own names came from.  Tuesday nights homework will be to just have a conversation with your family about where your name came from?  Students may want to take quick notes on sticky notes if they think they will forget.  On Wednesday, Team 16 will do their  first paragraph writing assignment about where their name came from.  These will be displayed on our writing wall and shared with our classmates.

I can't wait to learn where all your names came from! Can you?

I did some research about my first name, Susan.  I spoke with my parents and I did a little research online.  This is what I found out:

Susan is a feminine given name and is a form of Susanna.  The name was originally derived from the Middle Egyptian (lotus flower).  The root word Lily means to be joyful, bright, or cheerful.  The basis for the word and name Sasson (Susan) means joy of life.  There are 57 various ways to say my name.  A few examples are: Suzy, Susann, Sue, and Sanna.  Susan was a very popular name the year I was born.  After speaking with my parents, I was told that my Dad always loved the name Susan and after I was born, he finally got to choose the name.  I was the youngest of 3 and my Mom had chosen the names of my 2 older sisters.  This is where my name came from and how it was chosen as my first name.


No comments:

Post a Comment